The items listed below are for All of Skamania County. Click to hide
Outside the no burn areas, burn piles larger than 10'x10'x5' require a land clearing burn permit from SWCAA. There is a $100.00 fee. The burn permit application can be down loaded in PDF and printed out.bYou may then mail the completed application with the fee to SWCAA or you may call SWCAA at 1-800-633-0709 to schedule an office visit and obtain the permit the day of your appointment. Payment may be made by way of check, cash or money order. Click to hide
All debris burning (natural vegetation only) under 10'x10'x5' requires a small fire permit. Piles of natural vegetation larger than 4'x4'x3' but smaller than 10'x10'x5' are only allowed October 1 through June 30. Piles of natural vegetation under 4'x4'x3' are allowed year round except during a fire danger burn ban.

These permits are currently available at your local fire station or town hall and are generally free. If your area does not provide these permits contact the Skamania County Fire Marshal at 509-427-3920. Click to hide
Recreational fires under 4'x4'x3' are still allowed in all of Skamania County without a permit. Only charcoal or seasoned firewood (not lumber) may be used as fuel for a recreational fire. Recreational fires must be used solely for recreational purposes and may not be used for disposal of yard debris or any other material. Recreational fires may not cause a smoke or odor nuisance to surrounding properties. For recreational fires in excess of 4'x4'x3' a small fire permit is required. These permits can be picked up at your local fire station or town hall and are free. If your area does not provide these permits contact the Skamania County Fire Marshal at 509-427-3920. Click to hide
To qualify for agricultural burning you must have filed a "Schedule F" with your federal income tax. Orchard prunings alone do not qualify for an agricultural burn and other restrictions apply (WAC 173-430). Call SWCAA for detailed information, forms and possible fees. Click to hide
For all silvicultural/forest practice burning call the Pacific Cascades Region of the Department of Natural Resources at 360-577-2025. There is a permit fee. Click to hide

Skamania County - Outdoor Burning Information
(Outdoor burning is permanently banned in all urban growth areas)

Burn Ban Status:  No Burn Ban is in Effect 

Department of Natural Resources Fire Danger LevelLOW
Effective: 10/19/2015

Consult your DNR or SWCAA Land Clearing Burn Permit for additional burning information.

The seasonal burn ban has been lifted.

Burning is limited to only natural vegetation. A free permit is necessary for all fires up to 10 x 10 x 5 and can be obtained from your local fire station or at the Skamania public works Dept. at 509-427-3910. Piles larger than 10 x 10 x 5 require a written permit from the Southwest Clean Air Agency.

For silvicultural or forest questions contact Dept of Natural Resources at 360-575-5089, or you can contact the Southwest Clean Air Agency at 360-574-3058 or 1-800-633-0709 during normal business hours.

For an explanation of the Fire Danger Rating System click here.

WAC 173-425 bans the use of a burn barrel and prohibits the burning of all material, except natural vegetation grown on the property and firewood (defined as bare, untreated wood, not dimensional lumber). This regulation also prohibits burning during periods of impaired air quality and prohibits outdoor burning from becoming a nuisance to surrounding neighbors and businesses. Fire safety burn-bans may also be called by county or local fire protection authorities.


Location Land Clearing Residential Recreational Agricultural Silvicultural

Additional Outdoor Burning Information